There are so many myths surrounding Dogs absolute craziness in most cases. When did Dogs stop being enjoyable and something for people to fear? So I'm going to do a myth busting session now and then do one on a regular basis let's dispell these myths.
1) There are no such things as bad Dogs only bad Dog owners.
Myth Busting; No there are no bad Dogs and not all the owners of reactive Dogs are to be blamed. There are however Dogs with issues. Dogs can have issues for several reasons
1a) Not all breeders have Trainers come into temperament test puppies and group them according to their personality set. To which then a breeder can match to the personality type of a new owner.
1b) Dogs can have genetic traits according to their breed and lineage as well as bad breed selection by breeders.
1c) The dog was purchased because the owner saw it in a film and their lifestyle nor personality is suitably matched to this Dog.
1d) Some owners do not think they need to socialise their pup nor train it.
1e) some dogs are rescues and the rescue was not necessarily aware or honest about the Dogs behaviour. Again lack of match testing for both the Dog and new owner.
1f) Lack of understanding about a breed and it's needs to keep the Dog stimulated and busy
1g) Dog has had negative or several negative experiences making it nervous.
1h) Unaddressed medical issue
1i) The Dog was taken away from it's mother too young or the mother was not interested in her pups or the breeders interfered too much meaning mum could not discipline her pups as required to teach them inhibition
2) Dogs don't need to Socialise. Absolute nonsense. Every Dog has to socialise and this isn't just about playing with other Dogs being around other Dogs. This includes meeting people, being around Traffic, noises, town, shops etc. Dogs learn most of what will form them as an adult by 18 weeks old. Early exposure is essential.
3) a Dog breed bit a person so all Dog breeds of that ilk are terrifying. No this is psychological. This is a learned fear. Not a true fear. So you heard someone got bitten by a Labrador. That does not mean all Labradors are aggressive nor the Dog in question is actually aggressive. It could be any of the above under 1. It could be tormented, put into a scary or dangerous situation, aggravated etc. There is always a trigger.
4) Staffordshire Bull Terriers are dangerous. No they are the soppiest Dogs going. The same as any breed. They could have been exposed to any of the above. Suffered poor breeding etc in a case where they are reactive or aggressive. I have worked with several hundred Staffordshire Bull Terriers and been bitten twice and both times was accidental. The first getting in the middle of a scuffle the second playing with a Staffy and got bitten by mistake which can happen with any breed.
5) German Shepherd are aggressive. No once again the same answer as Staffordshire Bull Terriers.
6) Dogs should meet face to face. No never. When you meet someone and want your Dog to say hi if the other owner agrees. Loosen the lead. Let the Dogs do what nature tells them to do. You will see them both head to the genitals and anal area this is completely normal and how Dogs learn about one another.
7) If a Dog is put on lead it must be aggressive. No if I see a Dog approaching I will lead the Dogs i am with. Not all Dogs off lead are friendly just because their owner says so. People are blinded by their vanity this is when Dog attacks can happen. Also Dogs can be on lead due to poor recall.
8. All Dogs are related to wolves. Nope. No Dog on the planet are related to Wolves other than a WolfDog with Wolf content. Wolf look alikes I.e. Sarloos or Anglo Wolfdogs contain no Wolf content. Every Dog on the planet however is related to the Greyhound. The earliest breed of Dog.
9) Small Dogs need carrying. No. All Dogs other than disabled Dogs can and are able to walk. Picking a Dog up creates fear. Which can then lead to reactivity.
10) Feeding a Dog on raw makes them blood thirsty. No. Raw feeding is the healthiest option for Dogs. Both of mine are raw fed and as you can see live harmoniously with a Rabbit. And they eat around him with no issues nor resource guarding. Raw fed Dogs have been scientifically proven to live longer and have less medical issues.
Don't believe everything you read or see on Facebook any social media, Some websites and the newspapers. Even some vets. If something doesn't sound right. Research it yourself. Ask for a second opinion. Whether it's me, your own Trainer etc. Form your own opinion. Don't forget some videos on the internet are also spoofs or photo shopped and or cleverly edited. Relax more and enjoy your Dog.
Any more myths or uncertainties you have drop me a message and I'll address and dispell if needs be next time.
Let's keep to the facts 🐶